Tuesday 7 August 2012

Fresh Start or Hold on to the Past?

I got a bit nostalgic for the WoW days last night. Started looking up who was still playing out of the players I spent so much time with. I looked at the couple of videos of my old guild that are still knocking about on youtube etc. I didn't go as far as contemplating pre-ordering MoP, although it's possible I may if GW2 doesn't turn out to be what I hope it will...
Why was I Ginger in Caverns of Time?
So today I sent an e-mail to one of my closest ex-WoW guildies (whom I did dabble in SWTOR with earlier this year) asking if he is considering GW2. After I sent the e-mail I started to wonder is that the sensible thing to do. I'll try and tell you why.

The reason I am worried are the answers to these questions;
What do I hope GW2 will mean to me?
What experience do I want?
Who do I want to meet?
How do I want to play GW2, and for how long?

So here are the brief version of the conclusions I came to;
I want GW2 to be an exciting voyage of discovery.
The experience I want is the same as it was playing WoW for the first time.
I want to meet a new version of the interesting and intelligent people I met in WoW and join a guild of friendly, like-minded players.
I want to play GW2 casually but with commitment when I have the time, and for a few years if possible, anything less than 3 months would be dissapointing (again).

Now, I think the answers to the above, for me, are that Ideally all my memories and experience of WoW (and the others that came after Rift, Aion, SWTOR) could be deleted so that it's all new and I would be much more likely to achieve all of those goals. I know, it's not going to happen, but perhaps I can help my self by not carrying over all the preconceived idea from the last 5 years of MMO gaming and should that mean the people as too?

Don't get me wrong, I would love to play with my old WoW guild mates again but am I worsening the likelihood of GW2 being the scratch to me itch?

No comments:

Post a Comment